Sunday, January 12, 2014

Start of Blog

           I'm not sure if this is going to work out, but I'll give it a shot.

           I will try to be posting almost daily reporting my progress on my goal for this year: 200 species of bird in Richmond County, Augusta, GA.

           I am setting the bar high this year. I set the bar low last year, in my first year of birding. I wanted to get 200 lifers by the end of the year, and I finished with 239........I didn't want to fail and be upset with myself, so I tried to accomplish something easy. I know by raising my expectations this year, I can make this even more fun.

          The goal of 200 birds in a single year in a single county is a tough task to accomplish. But I feel that it can be done. I finished the year with 187 species, and I had only become aware of GABO and eBird in July, which means I missed a few rarities that showed up in the beginning of the year.

           I broke the record for most species in a single year in 2013, but all of the credit goes to Mac McCall, JP Moss, and my Dad, who drove me basically everywhere, and taught me everything they know. There have been a total of 247 species seen all time in Richmond Co., and with my new library of knowledge, I know that I can break the record again, and hit 200.

9 comments:

  1. So you set the Richmond County Big Year record last year, and you want to break it this year again?
    I'm also keeping a blog on trying to get to 200 in my county.
    Good luck on getting to 200!

    -SerPavlov

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not doing a big year last year, I just won my county.

      Delete
  2. Did you set the Richmond county Record last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't subscribe to blogs... ;)

    Are you thinking of YouTube? :P

    I'm also aiming for 200 - for my Ontario big year. (But mostly in Toronto) Good luck! Oh, and post pictures too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize you were doing a big year (now that it's nearly over) so I'll make sure I text you any good birds I see. Make sure you check over the airport and the boat ramp at the end for the next 2 months for Swallow-tailed Kites. 11-2 is usually the best time of day to see them if they are there.

    ReplyDelete